Friday, January 14, 2011

Digital Turnaround: Goth Girl

My original sketch.

Eight layers later....

Almost there! Just 25, 30, 55 layers to go! Yah!
I realized a few months ago that I have yet to try creating a traditional five-point turnaround digitally. This is one of those ideas that should have come to me much much earlier....but I was probably thinking too  much about the Roman Empire....or girls....or how poor I am....whatever.

One of my goals on the semester break before I go back to the lab - was to get this turnaround really going and hopefully finish it. It drives me nuts how SOOOOOOOooooo many students at the lab keep going about turnarounds in the wrong way. They always want to start with the 3/4 front view - which is perhaps the coolest and hardest pose of the five. The way I was taught - you start with the PROFILE, then to the FRONT - THEN build the 3/4 FRONT.....and I tell the kids that over and over....but no one listens to me....

You know the best part of doing a turnaround digitally? No mountain piles of tracing paper....although 10,000 layers suck too.....